2.01.2011

sunny school day

scarf & skirt via American Apparel, thrifted shirt, vintage Fox cardigan via Used, the sunday coat via Oak + Fort 
I looked out my window today and it was actually nice out! So I decided to get a little fancy and wear a skirt to school (among a sea of sweatpants it's a big deal). I also dyed my hair back to black and got me some blunt bags. It was time to switch things up and I love that feeling of disjunct when you first get a new hair cut! 

Today in my Italian cinema class we finished watching The Working Class Goes to Heaven, 1971. LuLu the main character is a hard working factory labourer preforming monotonous tasks to earn a meager wage to then ironically purchase the goods his factory is producing. There is a scene where the camera does a panoramic shot of his living room and it is filled with kitschy objects and things of no use.  What stuck with me was when the camera zoomed into his collection of alarm clocks and he asks himself why he needs four? 
A Life of Style
(I'm never going to be this organized, but one can try!) 
I started thinking about all the things I have in my apartment and although not as tacky (I would hope) I began to reevaluate the necessity of all these items. So I've decided to make a concerted effort to rid of things I don't need. This applies to my wardrobe too! Instead of 6 mediocre cardigans I'm going to start purchasing things that a) seamlessly work with the rest of my wardrobe and b) will last for more than a season. I'm also doing an overhaul and either donating or consigning a significant portion of my clothes. You should do it to! It's oddly satisfying to get rid of things you've been hanging onto for years because maybe 'you might use it someday'. 


No comments:

Post a Comment